This cutie (and I’m assuming her mom, due to the good job applying all the sequins) put together a really good homemade Monster High costume. She did a really good job duplicating the Lagoona Blue look herself. I think she really nailed the top and like the hoodie with the sequins. It’s very creative.
With many of the Monster High costumes, I think getting the hair and makeup right are the thing that really suggest the character the most. If you don’t have a long blond wig in your dress up stash, then you can pick up a Lagoona wig for about $18 on Amazon. You may really be able to put the rest together with fabric and things you have at home. Here’s a list of the things you’ll need.
1. A long-sleeved or 3/4 length-sleeved black t-shirt. Bonus points if it’s shiny.
2. Some hot pink fabric to cut out and attach to the black shirt for the pink panel. (If you happen to already have a black and hot pink shirt, obviously that makes things easier).
3. Black and white fabric pens to draw fish scales on the shirt and Lagoona’s turquoise vest. As you can see in the video, large sequins also make awesome fish scales if you don’t have fabric pens.
4. An aqua vest or a hoodie that you’re okay with cutting the sleeves off. Either use sequins or your fabric pens to create fish scales on the bodice.
1. A black mini skirt of any kind will really work, or even black shorts, in a pinch. Use glue and glitter across the surface to suggest water.
2. Aqua tights. Cut off the bottom half of the tights the knees. They don’t run when you do this and shouldn’t require any additional sewing. You can add some sequins if you want, but not necessary. If you’d prefer to attach Lagoona’s fins to the leggings rather than skin, then cut the tights at mid-calf.
1. Lagoona wears chunky gold jewelry, so raid your jewelry box for your biggest necklaces and bracelets, or hit the thrift store for something with a marine motif.
2. A big pink flower for your mini-Lagoona’s hair
3. Aqua felt to cut out for fins. Lagoona has them mid-forearm and mid-calf, as well as sticking out of her hair.
4. Body adhesive or double-sided tape to attach the fins.
If you don’t have time to do the sewing or gluing yourself, you can grab a premade Lagoona costume by clicking here. If you don’t have clothing at home you can repurpose for Halloween and need to pick up many of these supplies, it may be cheaper just to buy a costume since they’re under $30.